Bryan & Company traces its roots in Alberta to 1928, and we have grown to be a full-service firm with more than 40 plus lawyers in the Province’s capital city, Edmonton. We offer the full breadth of services to our clients, no matter what their legal needs might require.
We service nearly every industry, including banking, finance, energy, manufacturing, construction, and real estate development. In addition to our strong corporate/commercial practice, we are skilled advocates. Our lawyers have appeared at all levels of court in Western Canada and before the Supreme Court of Canada. We are a firm grounded in our Albertan roots, but we can serve our clients across the country, as many of our lawyers are members of other provincial bars, and they have practiced in other provinces, enabling us to serve clients in a number of jurisdictions across Canada.
Our notable capabilities are as follows:
- Our Advocacy Group represents clients at all levels of court in Western Canada and before a wide variety of tribunals, boards, and commissions. Our skilled litigators handle disputes related to commercial issues, contracts, construction delay and deficiency claims, intellectual property, manufacturer liability, personal injury, real estate, oil and gas, estates, bankruptcy, and shareholder issues. We also have extensive experience in alternative resolution methods such as mediation, arbitration, and JDR.
- Our Business Law Group handles complex issues for clients in both the public and private sectors in business formation, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and reorganizations. Within the group, a team is dedicated to M&A matters.
- Our Corporate Finance & Securities Law Group advises businesses from formation through public offerings and beyond in matters related to governance, structure, equity issues, public listings, and regulatory compliance.
- Our Employment Law Group provides accurate and timely advice to management, individuals, and employee groups regarding a full range of employment matters, including: contracts, policies, executive compensation, collective bargaining, wrongful dismissal, immigration, human rights, privacy issues, health and safety, Employment Standards Code and Employment Insurance Act issues, and Workers’ Compensation Board issues.
- Our Insurance Law Group defends first – and -third party claims, and provides coverage opinions. It has advanced subrogated claims on behalf of a number of major Canadian and international insurers. Members of our team have appeared on behalf of insurers before the Supreme Court of Canada in landmark cases on tort causation and commercial host liability.
- Our Intellectual Property Law Group provides high-quality and cost-effective legal solutions related to trademarks, copyrights, and confidential information. We advise clients on the creation, assessment, protection, sale, and licensing of intellectual property and represent both plaintiffs and defendants in IP-related litigation.
- Our Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Practice Group provides supportive representation in resolving all personal injury claims, including cases involving serious permanent physical impairment, disability and wrongful death claims.
- Our First Nations and Métis Law Group has developed a thorough understanding of the many issues related to Aboriginal law in Canada, including self-government, employment issues, Band governance matters, treaty rights, and the litigation of institutional issues.
All four of our Canadian member firms, including 60 individual lawyers, have been listed in the 2021 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada.