Blakemore & Mitsuki was established in 1950, and we are the oldest international law firm in Japan.
We continue to enjoy an established reputation as a traditional Japanese firm, meeting the legal needs of Japanese and foreign companies by providing high-quality work in a timely manner.
Although we are a full-service firm, we have a number of notable practice areas:
- Our International Business practice handles matters related to foreign companies’ participation in Japan, as well as Japanese companies establishing business overseas, government approvals, and drafting of relevant agreements. Our lawyers also assist with the licensing and enforcing of intellectual property rights and with agreements for the import and export of pharmaceuticals and food products. We have particular experience developing agreements for public performances and commercial appearances by professional musicians and figures in the entertainment industry.
- Our Mergers & Acquisitions practice routinely represents investment banks and other financial institutions, manufacturers, and medical corporations in negotiated and non-negotiated mergers and acquisitions, including proxy fights, in Japan.
- Our Finance lawyers advise issuers and underwriters on the conversion of cash-generating assets into marketable securities. We have worked in leading-edge areas in securitization, including commercial mortgage-backed securities, consumer credit receivables, and financings related to constructing buildings and city development projects, as well as creating structures for such projects. We also represent issuers and underwriters across a full range of corporate financing vehicles from public offerings to private placements of debt and equity securities.
- Our Banking practice acts for major Japanese and foreign banks, securities companies, trust companies, insurance companies, and other financial institutions. We have extensive experience in all loan transactions from simple Yen loans and syndicated loans to major project financing. We also assist in obtaining proper licenses for banking, securities and insurance companies, and handle regulatory matters related to the Financial Services Agency and other agencies.
- Our Litigation team represents clients in business disputes in both litigation and arbitration as well as in tax-related and other government proceedings. We also have substantial experience both in Japan and overseas with respect to bankruptcy, credit recovery on behalf of creditors and debtors, receivership, and corporate reorganization. Additionally, we have strong expertise in dealing with legal issues pertaining to preventive measures and dispute resolution regarding HR and employment matters unique to Japanese subsidiaries or offices of foreign companies.
On December 10, 2022, Blakemore & Mitsuki hosted a web-conference with a large Japanese financial institution and a major US law firm to analyze a simulated stock purchase transaction involving a seller of a Japanese corporation, a buyer and its parent (each of such buyer and parent was assumed to be a subsidiary of a US PE firm).
On June 29, 2021, Blakemore & Mitsuki hosted a web conference with a large Japanese financial institution to analyze the tender offer for the outstanding shares and stock acquisition rights of Nichiigakkan Co.
In the event cash and cash-equivalents constitute “20 % or less” of the purchase price, the transaction will be treated as a tax-qualified transaction for the purpose of shareholders of the target company having benefits of deferring the recognition of capital gain until the relevant treasury shares received by such shareholders are sold to third parties.
On December 22, 2020, Japan’s Supreme Court held that Mizuho Securities, which acted as lead underwriter in connection with the initial public offering of FOI, a Japanese manufacturer of semiconductor-manufacturing equipment, is liable for damages, by stating to the following effect .